Poketto Monsutā Myūtsū no Gyakushū

2.10.2008

Japanese Pokemon versus American Pokemon
Obviously, Japanese pokemon totally owns the Americanized pokemon-- I won't even go into the generalized stuff. If you wanna hear what I have to say, this is essentially my anger:
Anyway, this journal isn't about which is better, its just a comparison of the two movies.
Poketto Monsutā Myūtsū no Gyakushū VS Mewtwo Strikes Back.
I got the original Japanese version the other day as an early birthday present from my mom, and I must say, it was a totally new experience. I probably won't hit all the stuff I want to talk about, but I'll touch on the basics of the differences...
For one, the Japanese version does not have that crappy 3D-- it actually looks painted, for the most part. The first time I noticed this was in the beginning when Mewtwo was standing on the island, fire all around. In the English version, they have an eerily blue sky behind the fire, but in the Japanese version, they have what literally looks like a painting of fire and black skies. Its a lot better, more eerie.
The Japanese version also has music that is...much more godly. Instead of the backstreet boys and other crappy pop music, they have beautiful instrumentals. It makes the fighting scene near the end a lot less...umm. I don't even know how to put it-- embarrassing, maybe? Though, I do have one musical selection I like a lot better in the English version, and that's the 10 seconds Dragonite is flying from Mewtwo's domain to give the letter to Ash. I adore that song.
The English version's vocals and sound effects are better in the sense that they're not obscenely loud. The Japanese version burnt my ears out, especially in the mini movie when Togepi is crying its eyes out. I'm sure in the theaters it made a couple people lose their hearing. A couple? I meant to say everybody in the general area. :<
See? I already have no idea where to go from here.
Oh, no, I have one more thing.
The Japanese version has 10 minutes more film than the English version. :/ The American version cut those 10 minutes out, probably because it was depressing and thought the kids wouldn't understand the plot. I actually don't know. I don't have it on my version of the DVD- so I'm rather confused, it was the reason I wanted it so badly. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, look at this:
It is a lot better with this added bit (I watch it before I watch the movie). Honestly. Made you understand Mewtwo's point of view a lot better than without this part. I just don't get why none of my Pokemon the First Movie DVDs, Japanese or English, have it.
My last comment is that...
In the beginning of the Japanese version when Ash is battling that pirate looking guy, I think he's supposed to be an American...It was HILARIOUS. He used Japanese-English words, and when he lost, he yelled OH MY GOOODDDDDDD!!!!...Probably the funniest thing I've ever heard.
That movie makes me cry. Shut your stupid face. I don't even know why, but every time I've watched it since it came out, I've cried....
Every.
Time.
D:

0 comments: