Day of Silence

4.24.2008

If you don't know what it is, go to: http://www.breakthesilence.org/

Well, I'm really glad I signed up. I still wasn't quite sure what I had signed up for, exactly, earlier. I knew it was for anti-bullying and namecallingand other things against homosexuals or transgenders, but I dunno. I went to the website today. It made me feel better.Well, in one way. In the other it made me a little disgusted. Like, it says this year's Day of Silence is being held in memory of a 15 year old boy named Lawrence King. A 14 year old classmate killed him in class, supposedly because of his sexual orientation and how he presented his gender. Haha, still think there's no problem?

There are also kids protesting it, apparently, as well. I've heard the rumor, anyway. Not saying that there shouldn't be healthy competition, or that they shouldn't,because they have as big of a right to protest against the dayas we have to go through with it, but...do they even understand what it's for? Like, my mom...I told her about it. She didn't understand at all.She said, "just because they don't stick it in the right hole doesn't mean they should get special attention!"

Is treating your fellow human being with kindness, compassion and empathy really SPECIAL ATTENTION? So is there just some invisible linewhere it's okay to give someone a hug, tell them they look nice today, and it's a parallel to turn aroundand call another person a faggot?or a dyke? Or perhaps to physically abuse them,in extreme cases? I sure as hell hope not.

You just gotta imagine how I felt getting it from my mom, though. Idunno.Haaaa. Thanks. :/and once again, its not that I experience hardcore hatred on a daily basis. It's happened, though. I'm serious.I just feel so strongly about this whole thing. But it happens to other people daily.Some people are afraid to go out in publicbecause of their sexual orientation. Maybe you just choose not to notice it. And as a note, a lot more people are gay than you think. Most towns aren't exactly straightsvilles. But they sure as hell has a lot of horrible people in them. I remember one time Chris and two other kids and I went to the store to get bubble tea or something, I don't remember. Chris was wearing a skirt. He usually doesn't, but whatever. A gang of huge guys came up and was threatening him,telling him shit like, "IF YOU WEAR A SKIRT AGAIN, YOU FUCKIN' FAGGOT, WE'LL BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!" Hmmmmmmmmm. :/ If that's not a problem I don't know what is.

0 comments: